« Interview with artist Heidy Cody | Main | A kinder, gentler assertion of rights »

Why Haven't More People Seen This Video?

San Diego mayor Jerry Sanders made an announcement last week regarding same-sex marriage. If you haven't seen it, I urge you to take 5 minutes right now and watch.

I'm embarrassed that it took me a week to learn about this. The relatively low view counts on the video's several youtube postings perhaps indicate that the story was woefully underreported. ("Jerry Sanders and marriage" yields 67 results on Google News; Talk-Like-a-Pirate Day, also from September 19, yields 90 results.) If you are as moved as I was by Sanders's words, please spread the word. People can change their views. And the struggle for civil rights is never over.

Posted by Jack Silbert on 09/28/2007 | Permalink

Comments

Wow, that's pretty great.

Posted by: Vidiot | Sep 28, 2007 10:31:28 AM

WOW.

Posted by: Nina P | Sep 28, 2007 12:42:04 PM

This is Dick Cheney if he had any balls - or a soul for that matter.

Posted by: Joe Banks | Sep 28, 2007 8:21:18 PM

wow is right ..

no need to spend $$ on his next reelection just play this video

finally a politician with a streak of integrity

Posted by: Jared | Sep 29, 2007 10:00:34 AM

Sir,
I don't understand your views as a public offical sworn to the office to serve the people with your hand on the BIBLE.
My B.asic I.nstruction B.efore L.eaving E.arth (Bible) is very clear on homosexuality. It calls this a sin !! Now if you are to duly represent the office you were sworn into do you think that you have done correctly ?
I speak no evil of you and pray for officals that are transending thier pledge to serve as unto God, the people of this great land. Please search your heart as to the decision that will allow you to sleep with your wife, to whom you made a pledge before God to love honor and Cherish. Don't ask for mans approval but for God's if you will sir.
" Father in Jesus' name I come on behalf of our officals that your kingdom will come and your will be done in Jesus name. Amen"

Posted by: Chaplain Ken | Sep 29, 2007 2:29:47 PM

is that comment from 'chaplain ken' parody or something? fucking hilarious, if it is. wtf, if it's not.

Posted by: daniel | Sep 29, 2007 8:53:43 PM

"Chaplain Ken's" bit is blog spam. He might even be a robot.

Posted by: carrie | Sep 30, 2007 9:51:25 AM

I would never want to be in his position. To have to accept that two homosexuals wanting to be married should be allowed to do so goes to the heart of what a marriage is.

Posted by: | Oct 1, 2007 4:19:00 PM

Thank you for sharing this. It is indeed very inspirational.

Posted by: northamptonist | Oct 2, 2007 5:05:11 PM

I can vouch for Jerry Sanders' honesty.

That said, but I'm unclear about the differences between civil unions and marriage.
I do believe that the authority of pronouncing the union of two selves in marriage rests in should not rest in the hand of the state, but rather to the spiritual authorities of those involved in the union assent to... be it their ministers, social communities, or themselves.

Posted by: Ruben Sun | Oct 2, 2007 10:05:36 PM

This is an issue that sort of bothers me as well. I'm an atheist, and I've got nothing against homosexuals; I just wonder how it became the government's business to dictate what churches have to do as far as marriages go. I got married at the courthouse, and I think this option should also be open to gays-- but last I knew, Christians think marriage is between a man and a woman. Isn't legislating gay marriage like infringing on the rights of these religions to do their own thing? I don't appreciate religious folks stepping on MY rights, so I'm not about to be a hypocrite and step on theirs.

Posted by: DaveX | Oct 3, 2007 8:33:20 AM

DaveX: If the California courts permit/compel gay marriage, the law in San Diego will not compel religious institutions to perform gay marriage ceremonies (though it may force them to allow next-of-kin rights for employees, though civil unions would have the same effect).

It will, however, allow civil marriages to be performed (with "I do" and rice throwing) at City Hall and will recognize marriages that are performed by the denominations that do permit them.

Posted by: Charles | Oct 3, 2007 3:18:21 PM

Wow, that was very moving. It's very affirming to see a person who really is working for good do their best and act with integrity. Whatever people's views on this issue, I hope they recognize and admire that.

Posted by: April | Oct 8, 2007 1:10:28 PM

Nothing like complete relativism to propel a political career on the left coast.

Don't you wish that homosexual "marriage" was a "civil right?"

Unfortunately for its advocates, marriage is a privilege regulated by the society, and about 3/4 of the American public finds "gay" marriage an oxymoron.

Posted by: Fred Tyler | Oct 9, 2007 8:44:38 PM

Two cheers for the mayor, if some people have a privilege, all should have.

However, marriage, or any other arrangement between adults is absolutely NO BUSINESS of the government.

The state has absolutely no authority to favor or privilege any person or group of persons, or interpersonal relationship over any other. Instead of just sharing his feelings, the mayor should have articulated this principle. When he does, he'll deserve all three cheers.

Posted by: LibertyVini | Oct 10, 2007 12:47:08 AM

It's Talk Like A Pirate Day? Far out!

Seriously, good post, Jack.

Posted by: Jersey Girl | Oct 19, 2007 1:54:36 PM

Whatever happened to "by the people, for the people"? The government is voting on all these new laws that affect all of us, not just gays who want to be married. And, we're all sitting here, deaf and blind to it, because "they" keep waving the carrot in front of us: "We caught another terrorist leader". It's been going on for years, not just since 9/11. Ever wondered what Saddam Hussein is up to these days? Of course not, he's old news. He's lost his "carrot appeal". He won't distract you from all the new regulations that keep us all in our places. Great. A Government employee is waving another carrot in front of our eyes. Let's forget about everything else, because this issue is oh, so important.

sheep

Posted by: al | Oct 22, 2007 7:19:45 AM

I am impressed with the comments here - This is such a tough issue because both sides of the argument are right AND wrong. If you take a Biblical view, marriage is very clearly between man and woman, has nothing to do with government, and is a covenant made to each other in the witness of God alone. However, in the same Bible, justice and equality are the central message of living in the Kingdom of God, here and now, as followers of Jesus. So the right thing to do in a broken world, where we do need policies of government, is to allow equal rights as citizens of the USA. It is not perfect. My only hope is that more people will come to understand what it means to live as a citizen of the Kingdom which calls us to a greater purpose as humans created in the image of God. God's grace is offered to EVERYONE who will seek Him, no matter who or what you are. Peace.

Posted by: DGonz | Nov 16, 2007 1:09:41 PM

Nice comment, DGonz.

I see it as an issue of liberty: Why should the government have to be involved in sanctioning marriages? One good way to treat people as equal is to LEAVE THEM ALONE to do what they want.

Posted by: Jason Statham | Nov 21, 2007 4:08:49 PM